Wednesday, October 23, 2013

More Instruments

Sorry I missed posting last week.  Ideally I would like to post every week after class, but alas, it does not always happen.  Anyway, last week we learned about the guitar, and, as a little bonus, the ukulele.  We learned about some of the parts of the guitar: the body, bridge, neck, tuners, and strings.  We talked about how many strings the guitar has--6, although some have more.  The ukulele only has 4.  So quiz your kids on the parts of the guitar and let yourself be thoroughly impressed.  I can't believe how well they remembered today what we learned about guitars last week.

This week we learned about the piano.  We learned that there are black and white keys, and that there are 88 keys on the piano.  We talked about how there are high keys and low keys on the piano and the kids got to try playing them to see what they sound like.  Don't forget to keep your coloring pages the kids bring home so you can make a book of all the musical instruments your kids are learning about.

One last thing.  I introduced the kids to "do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" today.  I know it's a bit advanced maybe for our age group, but it's something my daughter has enjoyed doing, and she is 3, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  It went surprisingly well.  I encourage you to play the "Do-Re-Mi" song from the "Sound of Music," and let them get used to hearing the sounds.  For now, I would just focus on having them get to the point of being able to shout out "do-re-mi. . ." etc., but eventually they may surprise you by learning even more of the song.  My daughter can sing most of the song when I hold up pictures for each sound.

There are so many fun things to learn and explore in music and we are loving every minute of it in our Merry Music Makers class.  So keep on coming and keep on listening and experiencing music in any way you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment